Sunday, November 8, 2009

Giving Thanks...and much appreciation!

I may be jumping the gun a bit on the actual Thanksgiving holiday however, I thought I would take a moment to give thanks for all that I have. It's one of those things that I  think more about around the holiday season. I get so stressed out worrying about money and the holidays. I have actually been saying for the past few years how much I "hate" Christmas, but what I really hate is what it's become. The hustle and bustle sets in and you have to start thinking about gifts for the kids, and family, trying to set aside money for the holiday's. It's especially hard when you don't have an income coming in. Sometimes the bills overwhelm you, and the stress of it get's the better of you. I do believe that money is the root of all evil, and there really is never enough to go around, no matter how much of it you have.

Just today I had to explain to my daughter that it's not about asking for the BIGGEST and most EXPENSIVE gift you can think of for Christmas. It's more about asking for something that you really think you can use and that you've wanted for a while and think that you will enjoy having since you've waited to get it. Something that isn't going to get tossed into the corner the day after and something that's not going to break the bank, so to speak. It's going to be another year that we cut back on the gifts and that's hard. But there are more important things to consider right now. It's hitting home more for me this year, because I think about how much I've wasted without even a second thought. (ie: the 3 inches of milk that the kids randomly pour into their bowls that contain only 1 inch of cereal - then I find myself pouring the rest of it down the drain).
I'd like to get back to thinking about what Christmas really means. There are so many things that I have to be thankful for! Health, family, friends, and most importantly a roof over my head.

My father works with the homeless outreach program in one of the local cities here. Every once in a while he asks me to make him some thank you notes made with these photo's that he's taken over the years of the people that he visits. He sends the notes out to those people who make donations to the program, whether it be in the form of food, clothing, blankets, money, etc. When you see what it is that you are donating to, it is very meaningful.

It's a humbling experience for me each time I make a new batch of the notes. Which I did today, and thus the reason behind this post. It makes me think about the fact that I feel like I complain so much about what I need, and what I don't have. My kids too, just like most kids, wish for things that they don't have. Making these notes brings me reeling back into reality. I have so much. I don't need anything. The "wants" can wait.

My family is healthy, all of us. In the midst of all that is swirling around out there, we are all healthy. Granted, living in New England, the weather is very unpredictable. It's been a heck of a summer/fall here with so much rain and wind. But seriously... I shouldn't complain because I am warm and dry inside my home. I have wonderful friends. Many whom I've met online here, blogging, facebooking, networking, etc. I am thankful for you all! You make me feel like I matter, and that's really all I can ask for. So to wrap this up, I'm going to say that I hope that in some small way everyone that reads this post can sit back and just appreciate what they have. Feel blessed that what you work hard for every single day can make you sleep soundly at night. Try to put "Christmas" if you celebrate it, into a new light this year. One that is shining on the true meaning and blessing of the season. Be thankful for what you have. Don't stress about the money, or where it's coming from. Embrace your family, and give thanks. I'm really going to try to make this the best holiday season ever.
Thanks so much for coming here and reading, it really means a lot to me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome!